Kevin Coleman - Senior Counsel
Nuti Hart LLP
411 30th Street Suite 408
Oakland, CA 94609 T 510.506.7155
Mr. Coleman is counsel and former co-chair of the Firm's Creditors' Rights and Business Restructuring Practice Group. His practice focuses on business restructurings, particularly those concerning technology and telecommunications companies. Mr. Coleman represents debtors, creditors' committees, trustees, financial institutions and parties to significant ongoing contracts in cases under Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Coleman has handled complex litigation concerning the treatment of executory contracts and secured claims in connection with asset sales, debtor-in-possession financing, and confirmation of Chapter 11 plans. Mr. Coleman also advises clients contemplating a business transaction involving an insolvent business on the structures and strategy that will overcome obstacles to their business objectives.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Creditors' Rights and Business Restructuring
- Financial Services Litigation
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Mr. Coleman’s experience in bankruptcy matters includes:
- Co-special litigation counsel to the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and Michael Burkart, post confirmation plan administrator in the Chapter 1 1 case filed by the law firm Heller Ehrman LLPRepresentation of Bradley D. Sharp, Chapter 11 Trustee in the cases of SK Foods, LP and RHM Industrial/Specialty Foods, Inc., one of the nation's largest growers ad processors of vegetable products for remanufacturers, retail and food service marketers.
- Representation of Bradley D. Sharp, Chapter 11 Trustee in the cases of SK Foods, LP and RHM Industrial/Specialty Foods, Inc., one of the nation's largest growers ad processors of vegetable products for remanufacturers, retail and food service marketers.
- In In re Harder, representation of the debtor-in-possession in the largest Chapter 11 bankruptcy case ever filed in Oregon. The case involved over 200 assisted living facilities in 37 states, more than 100 institutional lenders asserting secured claims of $1.8 billion, and 2,000 unsecured creditors and investors asserting claims in excess of $600 million. He has experience negotiating and documenting lending transactions,
- Ad Hoc Committee of PGW Publishers in the Chapter 1 1 case filed by Advanced Marketing Systems/Publishers Group West, Inc., an international book distributor.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and post-confirmation liquidating trustee in the Chapter 11 case filed by At Home Corp., a major provider of cable-based internet access and media services.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors and post-confirmation estate representative in the Chapter 1 1 case filed by Webvan Group, Inc., a national on-line seller of groceries and other consumer products.
- SBC Communications, Inc. (now AT&T, Inc.) in several cases filed by Competitive Local Exchange Carriers, including, NorthPoint Communications Corp., a provider of DSL services, Advanced Telcom Group, Inc., a local voice and data service provider, and In-Touch Communications, a pre-paid voice service provider.
- John T. Kendall, Chapter 7 Trustee for the estate of Curon Medical, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of radio frequency energy-based medical devices used in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorders.
- Representation of Cal Pak Delivery, Inc., the Chapter 1 1 debtor, in a case involving a specialized warehouse and logistics company operating in the Western United States.
- Silicon Genesis Corp. Silicon Genesis developed and licensed technologies used in the manufacture of specialized silicon wafer materials. Represented SiGen in a Chapter 1 1 case which resulted in restructuring of its secured debt, a new capital investment in the company, and payment in full to all unsecured creditors.
- Peek Aren't You Curious, Inc. Peek was a retail seller of high-end children's clothing operating 21 stores in 10 states. Represented Peek in a Chapter 1 1 case through which the debtor was able to accomplish a going concern sale of substantially all of its assets within 45 days of the bankruptcy filing
- 07/06/2015 Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2015
- 09/16/2014 U.S. Bankruptcy Court Approves SK Foods Liquidation
- 07/03/2014 Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2014
- 04/25/2014 The CA Bar Association Spotlights Schnader SK Foods Success 3/03/2014 Schnader Attorneys Assist SK Foods Chapter 11 Trustee in Recovering $50 Million for Creditors
- 09/13/2013 Super Lawyers Recognizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2013
- 04/25/2013 Gregory Nuti and Kevin Coleman noted in Heller Ehrman victory 03/14/2013 Gregory Nuti and Kevin Coleman Named in Law360 Legal Lions Column
- 09/20/2012 Super Lawyers Recogbizes Many Schnader Attorneys in 2012
- 02/14/2012 A Team of Schnader Attorneys Achieve Appellate Victory for Client in In re SK Food
- 06/03/2010 Jeffrey Letwin and H. Lee Schwartzberg to Co-Chair Schnader’s Business Services Department
- 02/01/2010 Schnader Delivers Significant Victory for the State Bar of California
- 03/30/2007 Coleman Notes Bankruptcy Law in USA Today
- 03/23/2007 Coleman Comments on Bankruptcy in USA Today
- 01/03/2007 Schnader Welcomes Three New Partners in San Francisco
ATTORNEY SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- 06/09/2015 Kevin Coleman and Gregory Nuti Present on Enforcement of Prepayment Premiums
- 12/01/2014 Schnader Attorneys Speak at Construction SuperConference 2014
- 09/05/2014 Kevin Coleman Presents "Can I Appeal That?" at the 22nd Annual ABI Southwest Bankruptcy Conference
- 06/10/2014 Rich Barkasy and Kevin Coleman Presented on Delaware Bankruptcy Practice
- 09/28/2012 Business Insolvency Essentials - Chapter 1 1 Bankruptcy and More
- 05/20/2011 Hot Topics and Strategies in Preference Litigation
- 08/20/2009 Webinar: Corporate Bankruptcy 101
- 11/18/2008 Schnader's Coleman Offers Seminar on Bankruptcy Topics
- 05/13/2008 Trimmed Hedge Funds: How They Might Behave Differently Given Present Market Conditions
- 07/10/2007 Navigating the Potentially Treacherous Cross-Currents of Executory Contract/ Lease Treatment in Chapter 1 1
- 02/28/2014 "Persistence Pays Off for Creditors in SK Foods Bankruptcy"
- 05/17/2013 Ninth Circuit Overrules Longstanding (But Questionable) Bankruptcy Appellate Panel Precedent to Allow Bankruptcy Court to Re-Characterize Debt as Equity
- 03/15/2012 "'Sales Free and Clear of Junior Liens: Life After Clear Channel" Alerts